Public boards and committees help shape and influence government decisions and services.
They're made up of people who oversee the management of a public entity. We refer to these people as board members. Positions may be either paid or unpaid. They’re not part of the Victorian Public .
Joining a board is great for your career and can be personally rewarding.
Public boards in Victoria
In Victoria, there are over 32,000 board members serving on over 3,400 public entity . Many board members are volunteers and a lot of them reside in regional and rural Victoria.
Public boards are established by legislation, the Governor in Council or by a Minister.
Public entities do things like:
- manage essential services like hospitals, schools and transit networks
- do research and advise ministers
- manage public assets like parks and state forests
- monitor the actions and decisions of public officials
- impose regulations on people or businesses
Read about board numbers and in Victoria.
Reviewed 21 December 2022