About the board
The Council is a group of enthusiastic young people from various agricultural industries and regions who work with Agriculture Victoria to grow a sustainable and profitable agriculture sector.
The key activities of the council are to:
- Advise government on issues affecting young people in agriculture and on how young people in Agriculture can be better supported through government programs.
- Act as young ambassadors to attract new entrants to a career in the agriculture sector.
- Share information, opportunities, and advice between their networks and the Council.
- The Council assists government to:
- better understand the needs of young people in agriculture.
- develop solutions and shape support for young people in agriculture.
In developing advice for government, Council members are asked to engage and consult with other young people in agriculture, industries, and communities, and consider relevant research.
A 2023-26 term of Council is being established and new members are being sought.
Joining the Council is an important opportunity to have the interests of young farmers in your industry and community represented and to develop your leadership skills.
About the role
The Council consists of up to nine members, including the Chair. All nine positions are being considered through this application process. If eligible, current Council members are encouraged to apply.
Applicants are requested to indicate their interest in the Chair and/or deputy Chair roles in their application.
While there is no exclusive age limit, the Council is intended to be representative of the cohort it services (35 and under).
The Council aims to have a balance of representation by gender, industry, region and profession. Regional Victorians, women, First Nations people, people with a disability, young people and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Term of appointment
Members may be appointed for terms of up to three years.
If eligible, the Chair and members will be paid sitting fees for formal meetings, benchmarked against the provisions in the Department of Premier and Cabinet’s Appointment and Remuneration Guidelines – 1 July 2022.
Member’s may be reimbursed travel and other costs associated with attending meetings. Eligible expenses align with the Domestic Travel Policy that applies to all employees of the Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action.
Who we're looking for
Key Selection Criteria
Applicants will be shortlisted based on their skills, experience, and knowledge in relation to the criteria outlined below.
Members of the Council must have knowledge, skills, and experience in one or more of the following:
- Agriculture and farm management
- Agriculture related business and financial management
- Rural youth issues and networks
- Education and skills
- Regional development
- Farming innovation
- International markets
Highly Desirable Skills and Qualities
- Connections and relationships with your local industry and/or community, especially other young people.
- A strong vision for Victorian agriculture, and for young people in agriculture.
- Leadership experience.
- Ability to analyse information, articulate key issues and develop solutions.
- An understanding of actions required in your own industry and community to attract and support young people in agriculture.
What you need to apply
Further information on the recruitment process and requirements for applicants can be viewed in the attached position description.
Applications close 11:59pm 6 April 2023.
For more information, please contact:
Customer Service Centre: 136 186
Young Farmer Coordinator: email@example.com