Victoria government logo

University Council Appointments

Skills and Education | Education administration

2 days remaining
Posted on 11 September 2023
Closes on 25 September 2023


Flexible, 2-3 years
Bimonthly, Half day meetings
Melbourne CBD, online or another location
$30,000 - $49,999

About the board

The Victorian Government invites expressions of interest for Ministerial appointments to the councils of eight public universities in Victoria, with two current vacancies on the councils of Swinburne University of Technology and Monash University.

About the role

As the governing authority and chaired by the Chancellor, university councils play a critical role in relation to the university’s strategic direction, mission and business plan, as well as reviewing management and performance and monitoring risk, academic activity, and significant commercial initiatives.

Responsible for appointing and monitoring the performance of the Vice-Chancellor, university councils also establish policies consistent with legal requirements and community expectations.

Council members are responsible for:

  • approving the mission and strategic direction of the university
  • approving the university's annual budget and business plan
  • overseeing the management of the university and its performance
  • establishing policy and procedural principles for the operation of the university, consistent with legal requirements, Government policies and community expectations
  • approving and monitoring systems of control and accountability for the university, and any entity controlled by the university
  • overseeing and monitoring the assessment and management of risk across the university
  • overseeing and monitoring the academic activities of the university
  • approving any significant commercial activities of the university.

Applicants will be considered for two current vacancies on the councils of Swinburne University of Technology and Monash University and may also be considered for future opportunities at other Victorian universities.

Who we're looking for

To be considered as a Council Member, you will have experience as a Board Director or executive with a demonstrated history of community, industry, and/or commercial engagement and a passion for contributing to and transforming higher education. You will demonstrate the skills and background needed to foster the highest possible standards of research excellence alongside growth, innovation, and a global mindset, with higher education expertise and international experience desirable but not essential.

What you need to apply

The Victorian Government is committed to ensuring that government boards and committees reflect the rich diversity of the Victorian community. We encourage applications from women, young people (under 34 years old), Aboriginal people, people with disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, LGBTIQ+ people, and people living in rural and regional Victoria. We will provide adjustments to the recruitment process upon request.

You do not have to disclose any personal information if you do not want to, but it can help us understand how we can support you through the recruitment process and beyond. We invite you to tell us if you identify as Aboriginal, a person with disability, from a culturally or linguistically diverse background, LGBTIQ+ or a young person, aged 34 years old or less. If you identify as any of the aforementioned, we would welcome the opportunity to contact you and discuss how we can support you through the recruitment process. Sharing this information will help you access support should you need it and will also help us to better understand the impact of our work.

How to apply

The Department of Jobs, Skills, Industry and Regions is supported with this recruitment by Davidson Search & Advisory.

Please submit a cover letter and CV in support of your application to Link .

Applications close at 11.59pm on 25 September 2023

Applicants with further enquiries may contact Nicola Wortley at Davidson Search & Advisory at

You can also contact the Department at

Was this page helpful?