About the board
Public health services deliver a range of health, mental health, community health and aged care services in metropolitan Melbourne and the major regional areas of Geelong, Bendigo, Grampians, Albury and Wodonga, the Latrobe Valley and Goulburn Valley.
Public health services are independent entities operating under the Health Services Act (Vic) 1988 and are integral to the Victorian health system. The board is accountable to the Minister of the day for the delivery of health care to a high quality, safe and in a cost effective way.
About the role
The Minister for Health is pleased to invite persons to apply for part time board chair positions of public health services. The positions start on 1 July 2024 and appointments are for a period of up to three years.
These positions provide an exciting opportunity for Victorians to contribute to the leadership of health and wellbeing of our communities. Applicants are selected for their capabilities, including personal and professional attributes, experience, knowledge, and skills that contribute to the strategic leadership and oversight of health care for Victorian communities.
Chairs are required to lead monthly board meetings of approximately 3-4 hours duration. The Chair is also an ex-officio member of all board committees and is expected to available for other events requiring board representation. The Chair is also a member of the Council of Board Chairs that meets at least four times per year.
The board chair role will include:
- developing a comprehensive understanding of the health service’s finances, scope of services, strategic context, and legal framework.
- ensuring the health service carries out its functions in a manner that is safe, effective, efficient and consistent with prudent financial management practices.
- facilitate regular performance assessments of the board as a whole and of individual members to ensure good governance and to assist in the identification of capability gaps and opportunities for further development.
- leading the oversight of the performance and delivery of key policy priorities
- leading and managing the board operations (such as agenda setting and ensuring papers meet needs of the board).
- ensure all relevant policies are readily accessible to all board members.
- leading the recruitment, support and monitoring of the Chief Executive Officer
- taking a leadership role in managing external and internal relationships of the organisation.
Who we're looking for
While Victorian public health boards are based on capabilities, boards are more effective when these capabilities also represent the richness of the diverse voices of Victorian communities.
People of all ages, Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people, people of all abilities, people from multicultural diverse backgrounds, people who identify with LGBTIQ+ communities are encouraged to apply.
The board chair will have strong capabilities in leadership, collaboration, and interpersonal communications. All applications will be considered.
What you need to apply
The department welcomes the opportunity to discuss reasonable adjustments or support that can be provided throughout the recruitment process and/or post appointment. A discussion can be arranged by contacting .
Applicants applying for a board position for the first time will be required to create an account on the Join a Public Board website prior to applying online. Applicants who have previously applied through the Join a Public Board website will already have an account. If you have forgotten your password, the Join a Public Board website allows you to request this information.
Applications close at Midnight Sunday 19 November 2023.