About the board
AMES Australia is a Victorian statutory authority that supports culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities by providing public value through its end-to-end settlement services. It also shares its expertise with other countries to develop policies and practices that will lead to effective resettlement programs around the world.
AMES Australia provides a comprehensive range of settlement support, English language and literacy tuition, vocational training, employment services and disability services in Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania and New South Wales, to the following cohorts:
- Refugees and asylum seekers
- Skilled and recently arrived migrants
- Job seekers
- People living with a disability.
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity for a suitably experienced individual to be appointed as a Director of the AMES Australia Board.
The role of the Board is to ensure that AMES Australia carries out its vision and achieves its stated objectives prudently, sustainably, ethically and in accordance with its constitution, relevant laws, regulations and Government policy.
The AMES Australia Board consists of 9 to 11 Directors appointed by the Minister for Training and Skills.
The Board meets approximately 6 times per year. Board members generally participate in one or more of the Board’s committees or working/advisory groups.
The Board and its committees’ fiscal, legal and governance responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Setting the strategic direction and monitoring the overall performance outcomes and workplace culture
- Overseeing financial, audits and asset management
- Appointing and monitoring the performance of the CEO
- Endorsing the annual report for tabling in Parliament
- Submitting the strategic plan and statement of corporate intent to the Minister
- Operating in accordance with the economic and social objectives and public sector management policy established by the Government of Victoria
- Ensuring that AMES Australia is aligned with and meets relevant priorities and objectives of the Department of Jobs, Skills, Industry and Regions
- Providing all assistance and information as the Minister, the Secretary or the Deputy Secretary may reasonably require from the board.
For more information about the role please refer to the AMES Australia Board Director position description.
Who we're looking for
We encourage individuals with skills, experience, abilities and personal qualities in the following areas to apply:
- Governance of a similar sized business, whether public sector, large not-for-profit boards or non-government commercial
- Settlement services, Employment services and Care services (e.g. disability and aged care)
- Lived experience as a migrant, refugee, asylum seeker or recipient of any of AMES Australia’s services and support
- Social and community participation or any industry served by AMES Australia
- Adult, community and further education.
The Victorian Government is committed to ensuring that government boards and committees reflect the rich diversity of the Victorian community.
We encourage applications from women, people of all ages, Aboriginal people, people with disability, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds and from lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, gender diverse, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ+) people. We will provide adjustments to the recruitment process upon request.
What you need to apply
Please provide a cover letter no longer than two pages, stating how you meet the key selection criteria outlined in the position description, and a resume.
Applications should be submitted via email to Ms Aileen Srdic, Manager, Corporate and Board Governance (Board Secretary) email@example.com.
Applications will close on 23 March 2023 at 11:59 pm.
For all enquiries regarding the appointment process or for further support, please contact the Board Secretary by telephone 03 9938 4639 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.